Podujeva

Coat of arms Map
Coat of arms Podujevo Kosovokarte, position emphasized by Podujevo
Base data
Governmental district: Pristina
District: Podujeva
Height: approx. 670 m  NN
Surface: approx. 633 km ²
Inhabitant: 131.000 (2006)
Population density: 207 inhabitants for each km ²
Geographical situation: Coordinates:
42° 54 ' N, 21° 11 '
O42° 54 ' N, 21° 11 ' O
Postal zip codes: 11000 (old 38240)(Lluzanė 11050, Orllan 11060, Kėrpimeh 11070)
Preselections: 00377 (Monaco) and
00381 (Serbia)
Kfz characteristic: KS old PR
Address that
City administration:
Zahir Pajaziti 1
11000 Podujevė UNIMK
Website: podujeva-komuna.org
Mayor: Agim Kikaj (LDK)

Podujevo (Albanian: Podujevė Serbian Подујево) is city in the northeast of the Kosovo. The city is administrative seat of the greater of the same name Podujevė/Podujevo. Since 2004 a renaming in Besianė is aimed at from Albanian side. This place name is partially in documents such as driving licences and birth certificates.

Geography

Podujeva is in the northeast of the Kosovo, because of the administrative border to Serbia. By Podujeva the river Llapi (alb.) flows/[lab (serb.). After the river the region is called around Podujeva Llapė. In the proximity of the city in the seventies the established artificial lake an artificial lake established into the 1970ern befindete itself is called Liqeni i Batllavės (alb.)/Batlavsko Jezero (serb.). It was established for the potable water supply and supplies with to the municipalities Podujeva and Priština to today drinking water. In the summer it is a popular bathing and angler place for the inhabitants of the Kosovo.

Population

The city has 38,203 inhabitants (31 December 2003), the municipality over 130.000 inhabitants. The majority of the inhabitants is younger than 25 years. In the municipality Podujeva gives it 78 villages. Podujevo is by the majority populated by Albanians. During the Kosovo war in the spring 1999 numerous homeless Kosovo Albanians fled after Podujevo; alone in the city part Svetlje (alban.: Sfeēėl) are at that time to have lived 15,000 refugees, for the entire city from 100.000 refugees are proceeded. To end of war most of them returned to their places of residence.

The inhabitants are called also Llapjanė. In the spring 2006 an exact census in completely Kosovo is to take place. One assumes that that over 98% of the population Albanians are, the remaining 2% sits down together from Serbs, Roma, Bosnier and others.

Politics

The selected local administration is led of the LDK. After the end of the Kosovowar 1999 the groups of peoples lived peacefully with one another. Since March unrests 2004 however no more only Serbian family is in Podujevo. The Serbs were sold by the Albanian population.

Economics and infrastructure

In the city high unemployment prevails. In the summer 2005 iron factory was denationalized. Further there is a large Polystyrene manufactured and a tubing factory, which wait for privatisation. Otherwise the war caused very large damage. The reconstruction obtained large progress. Most investments however come from the private people, who created approx. 2,200 enterprises after the Kosovo war alone in the municipality of Podujevo, usually private firms. The city is appropriate for Pristina on the Magistrale Nis.

Sport

Podujevo has two in the 1. League of the Kosovo playing football teams:

  • FC Llapi
  • FC Besiana

In addition there is ever a basketball team, a hand ball team, a table tennis team, Voleyball team, a swimming association and a carat team. The carat team obtained international successes.

Sons and daughters of the city

  • Zahir Pajaziti (founder of the UĒK (Kosovo army)).
  • Fadil Vokrri (football player).
  • Fatmir Sejdiu (politician).

Web on the left of